Monday, 30 January 2012

Before I get old

I've just discovered The Who - a great beat combo who I'm sure will do well.

They're no youngsters either - which makes me wonder if they're still saying: 'I hope I die before I get old'.

As I slip into my middle years, faded and frayed as a well-worn pair of jim-jams, I begin to accept that perhaps it is a little too late to be an angry young thing, 'a promising young novelist' or indeed a 'girl'.

My mum once said to me with a creak of bones (it was a while ago, she's perked up since): 'Never grow old, never grow old.'

It was a mixed sort of message really.

Then I remembered this cracking version of My Generation - it's a couple of years old now, but I love, love, love it and had to share it with you.  Sorry I'm not allowed to embed it here... you'll have to go all the way over to YouTube for it... and I bet there isn't a bus!


12 comments:

  1. I was asked to update my bucket list at the weekend. I realised that, if I were to die tonight, there's nothing left I'd be disappointed not to have done.

    This either suggests a full, and fulfilling, life - or a lack of imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't you just f..f...f...fink of some more? 8-)

      Delete
  2. I still say getting old beats the alternative...and have you *really* just discovered The Who?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 'really'. I'd seen Tommy years ago and it didn't make much of an impression, but I was watching old episodes of 'House' which featured Baba O'Riley and had to seek it out. Oh really, O'Riley.

      Delete
  3. Great version of the song Clare and I have always been a fan of The Who!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucie!!!!!!!!! How you doin'? I thought you were more ballady - but then I like such a wide range of stuff I shouldn't be surprised when other people do too!

      p.s. that's gotta be the most exclamation marks I've seen in one place 8-)

      Delete
  4. Are you familiar with the play, "I'm Not Rappaport" by Herb Gardener, Clare? It has some "LOL" lines about aging. In one instance a character says (referring to an elderly gentleman), "He's an easy 80!" The response? "There is nothing easy about 80!"

    But it also has some remarkable insights about the elderly such as "The very old, they are miracles like the just born; close to the end is precious like close to the beginning."

    To indicate an elderly person is "unnecessary" is a "sin against life" or "abortion at the other end" are just a few more of the zingers in Gardener's play re society's response to the aging which I think is much worse in America than where you live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a very feisty hundred-year-old chap in my novel-in-progress but also some uncomfortable stuff about a old people's home - I worked in one briefly and was appalled.

      Herb Gardener? Any relation?

      Delete
  5. I'm still waiting for Pete Townsend's book to be released as a PDF file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get this comment at first, but after a cursory glance at Google and I think I do now...

      Delete