Saturday, 28 April 2012

10cc and all that

Have you noticed there seems to be trend for bands of the 70's and 80's to dust off their platforms, rustle up the glitter and strut their stuff once more?

If only! Actually they all look a bit like your dad (not mine, obviously), wear jumpers to hide their middle-aged spread and sing more reflectively from the safety of a Val Doonican-style stool (below).


Yes, 10cc are regrouping.

I don't have a problem with that. They weren't the worst band in the world - I'm not in love with them but I wouldn't run away from them either - but they'll be saying 'Good Morning Judge' of they try to fire rubber bullets into my Dreadlock Holiday.

This all makes you wonder what Marc Bolan would be like now, or Freddie Mercury, doesn't it? Alice Cooper probably.

Which bands would you like to see reforming... and can you guess which 80's band I am about to be forever linked with?

12 comments:

  1. Didn't Val have a rocking chair? I certainly don't want to know about his stools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm far too young to remember details like that - just that he did everything from a sitting down position - which seems like a fine plan to me!

      Delete
  2. Saw 10cc twice in the 70s. They were pretty good, although sometimes they tried a little too hard. Still have a couple of their albums, though, Original Soundtrack and How Dare You.

    If they're using social media to promote their reformation, they might not want to put Lol at the end of the list of band members.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh - an unGodley comment from the Creme of my followers! (LOL)

      Delete
  3. Lol martin!

    I saw a sign yesterday that said "Mud on Road". That's neat, I thought, although they won't be the same without Les Gray.

    Is it Duran Duran?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope - less hair!

      p.s. I LOVE 'Tiger Feet'

      Delete
  4. I used to like 10cc and had several of their albums but traded them in for one CD ‘The Very Best Of’. I don’t think I’d want any of my old favourites to re-form. Anyway, when The Chieftains are still going strong after fifty years who need a re-formed band?

    Now, which band will you be linked with? Will UB40? If it’s less hair perhaps you’re going for a Haircut100 (extreme hairdressing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet Haircut100 are all bald by now! Nope, it's not them. And hopefully not UB40.

      Delete
  5. Hi :)

    I've not commented on your blog before, but thought I'd drop in for a guess.

    Saw the 'less hair' comment and thought of Jimmy Somerville (The Communards)?

    All the best,

    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Now look what you've done... I've only gone and ordered the best of Jimmy S & The Communards as a birthday pressie to myself... I'd forgotten how much I used to like them!

      But no, not them. Not as jolly!

      Delete
  6. Never liked 10cc. Too arty and clever and stop-start and you couldn't dance to it. But I'd do it one more time for Suzie.
    Hayzee Fantayzee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't much of a dancer in the 80's and was always drawn to the words... 'life is a ministrone set off with parmesan cheese, death is a cold lasagne suspended in deep freeze' ... I bow to their use of metaphor.

      Nope, not Hayzee Fantayzee (who never really built on the success of John Wayne is Big Leggy, sadly)... mine is MUCH less fun (also not a band you would really dance to)

      Delete