Thursday 3 January 2013

Resolutions

"We're going to need a bigger spreadsheet"
"Two men look out through the same bars, one sees the mud... and one the stars."

In my last post I chose to only mention the 'best bits' of 2012 and let the worst bits go. It seems like a good philosophy to focus on the positives - when looking back and also when living each new day.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was telling me about the big list of things he was going after he retired from his main job the Friday before Christmas. The morning after his retirement, he died of a massive heart attack.

I'll say more about him next week when I can put some words together, but if nothing else, it makes you realise how precious time is, and if there are things you want to do you should be doing them now.

So my 2013 resolutions are mainly around being more focussed, better quality of life and - dare I say it? - legacy:
  • Relax more (may involve yoga)
  • Stop running over the same old ground
  • Stop faffing about and procrastinating
  • Spend more time actually writing*
  • Get a collection out (poetry and or flash fiction)
  • Live in the moment more
  • Go somewhere on my 'go to' list
  • Spend more time with people I care about
  • Experiment with imaginative, innovative ideas
  • Bring more smiles to the world

Have you made any resolutions or are you far too grown up for all that? 


* Here are 7 New Year Resolutions for Writers I came up with a couple of years ago

15 comments:

  1. Gosh - you hear about people doing that. Life is what's happening whilst you're making other plans, as JL said.
    Get a new biro, bb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I have many biros, and only a few of them are broken!

      Delete
  2. Yep. I agree with all those. Are they copyright? Good luck with them, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! ... and I'll let you share them if you like!

      Delete
  3. Oddly, I've noticed that everyone's resolutions actually boil down to the same as mine. 'This year it's my turn.' In other words, I'm going to stop doing things for other people and start doing what I want. On first sight it looks selfish, but you can't look after other people unless you're happy and healthy yourself.
    What will make you happy (and therefore more likely to be healthy) would be to get your book finished. So go do it! Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping the 'spend more time with people I care about' would be nice for them as well as me! 8-)

      Ahhh... you noticed I didn't mention the novel. I'm a bit paralysed by it at the moment and have lost my faith... hope to spend a bit of time on it over the next few weeks and see how I feel then. But thanks for noticing!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I made resolutions ... I just didn't make them for me. I found it much more satisfying to tell other people what they should do differently :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to tell me your secret - nobody does anything I tell them. But you know what they say: (s)he who finds fault with their friends... has faulty friends!

      Delete
    2. Resolutions for other people is sheer genius!

      Delete
  5. My friend's husband died over Christmas. It really does make you take stock, as you say. I want to get a collection out, too, and perhaps put it on Amazon Kindle to see what happens. As you suggest, this does mean 'actually' writing!! [Ah, there's the rub.] But I'm trying to write a new novel as well. That seems to demand some writing, oddly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the online collection definitely seems the way forward. I haven't tried yet but will do some research and share it with you if I find some useful guidelines.
      I keep thinking I shouldn't really start a new novel until I've finished the old one, but I think I might have a secret NaNoWriMo of my own secretly this year. Shhhhh.

      Delete
  6. Yes, JL was telling us what we already know, wasn't he? I never bother with resolutions, and my planning is always so tenuous, it only really qualifies as dreaming. Still, dreaming isn't a bad way to fill your time, however long that may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but we all know your dream planning has a dangerous tendency to turn into real things, whereas mine just mooch around in the ether!

      Delete
  7. My condolences for your loss. As writers we always seem to be battling inertia, self-belief and time-stealers. Perhaps that never changes and we just have to accept those 'companions' on the journey. Wishing you and everyone else here a 2013 of creative adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derek - and welcome to the blog! I love the sound of 'a 2013 of creative adventure' - hope yours is too!

      Delete